The sixteen year three month career of D5011/24011 saw allocation to London Midland, Southern & Scottish depots.
The frames for D5011 were laid down during the winter of 1958 at Derby Works. D5011 was new to Crewe South (5B) on March 28th 1959. Further transfers were:
March 1959 to Derby (17A) on loan
Renumbered November 1973.
24011 was stored at Carlisle from July 1975 to March 1976. It was moved to Glasgow Works on March 15th 1976 with 24002/04/10 and scrapped there by April 1977.
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Eastleigh Works December 1961.
From D5011 (?) onwards the Athermos plain bearing, pressure lubricated axle boxes were replaced by SKF roller bearing equipped axles
The working history of D5011/24011 belongs to a small sub-group of the class, particularly its three years of service on the Southern Region, a period of store during 1969 and its closing years spent in service on the Scottish Region.
Prior to its return from the Southern Region, D5011 visited Eastleigh Works for overhaul prior to heading north. On January 25th 1962 ex-works D5011 was tested on the 11pm freight to Nine Elms prior to its release from Eastleigh Works.
Upon arrival at Glasgow Works for scrapping the locomotive carried bogies fitted with SKF axleboxes and three-rung footsteps. The Southern Region headcode brackets were still fitted to the cabfronts, whilst the builders plates were present on the cabsides. Prior to its storage at Carlisle the engine exhaust and boiler exhaust vents had been capped. Externally the locomotive was in a very presentable condition, having completed an overhaul at Glasgow Works less than two years previously.
Pictures of D5011/24011
Page added January 6th 2016