D5020, 5020, 24020
D5020, 5020, 24020|
Built Derby Locomotive Works
Full size fuel & water tanks
Ventilators 4/4 (non-BIS side)
The sixteen year career of D5020/24020 included allocations to the London Midland Region & Eastern Region.
The frames for D5020 were laid down during the late spring of 1959 at Derby Works. D5020 was new to Ipswich (32B) on August 20th 1959. Further transfers were:
March 1961 to Stratford (30A)
May 1961 to Willesden (1A) on loan
January 1965 to Camden (1B)
December 1965 to Bescot (2F)
April 1966 to Birmingham Division (D02)
June 1967 to Stoke Division (D05)
March 1972 to Manchester Division (D09)
May 1973 to Longsight
July 6th 1975 stored serviceable
August 10th 1975 - withdrawn
Renumbered April 1974.
After withdrawal 24020 was stored at Reddish until February 15th 1977 when it was moved to Swindon Works, being broken up there by the first week of April 1977.
Movement: 24005/20/21/24 9X45 04.38 Reddish - Crewe - Banbury -Swindon February 15th 1977
||Whilst the four other Class 24's were generally found in a line on the east side of the depot on December 29th 1975, 24020 alias 5020 was stabled around the front of the depot, displaying it pre-TOPS number. As usual one of the first items to disappear were the windscreen wipers.
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Derby Works April 1962.
Noted Derby Works May 1963.
Noted Derby Works May - July 1964.
Noted Derby Works April 1965.
Noted Derby Works June & July 1966.
Derby Works delivered D5020 new to Ipswich (32B) during August. A couple of months after delivery high winds plagued the east of England during the last week of October, on 27th D5020 was struck by a falling tree whilst on the East Suffolk lines.
Condition new: green livery, frame level stripe, grey roof, full size fuel & water tanks, SKF axleboxes, ventilators 4/4 & 3/4 (BIS side), two-rung bogie mounted footsteps.
During March D5020 & D5021 headed south to Stratford, though their stay here was brief, by May both were at Willesden (1A). The transfer of D5020/21 to Willesden (1A) during May completed the movement of sixteen Type 2's (D5020 - D5035) between the GE and the LMR. This was made possible by the newly arriving English Electric Type 3's and Brush Type 2's upwards from D5694, after the transfer of the BR/Sulzer Type 2's more of the local services out of Euston became dieselized. D5020 recently transferred from the GE returned to its former haunts on August 7th in charge of a Bletchley - Southend excursion.
D5020 visited Derby Works during April.
In May D5020 was noted ex-works at Derby.
Condition date uncertain (working Euston suburban service): green livery with small yellow warning panels, curved upper corners, warning panel only partially covers frame level stripe, full size fuel & water tanks, exhaust in original position, two-rung bogie mounted footsteps, ridged sandboxes, cantrail water filler cover in situ.
D5020 was noted at Derby Works during May & July.
With the creation of the LMR 'Divisions' D5020 joined the Birmingham Division (D02). D5020 was at Derby Works during June & July.
Between April and August the entire block of D5000 - 5049 moved north to the Stoke Division (D05), with D5020 transferred during June.
July - still in green livery.
5020 - 5023 moved to the Manchester Division (D09) in March.
August - noted in blue/yellow livery.
With the abandonment of the LMR Divison allocations 5020 was allocated to Longsight during May.
In the big purge of the Class 24's during the summer of 1975 24020 was placed into store at Reddish during the first week of July and then withdrawn on August 10th.
Condition final: blue/yellow livery, gangway doors still in place, full size fuel tank, shortened water tank, some valencing still in place, two-rung bogie mounted footsteps, straightsided sandboxes, blanking plates fitted, hand/footholds plated over.
Page added July 12th 2016
Return to Picture menu
Return to Home page