Built Derby Locomotive Works
The sixteen year four month career (includes six months in store) of D5022/24022 included allocations to the London Midland Region & Eastern Region.
The allocation histories and working careers of 24020, 24021 & 24022 are very similar although 24022 was first allocated to Norwich and was never allocated to Willesden.
The frames for D5022 were laid down during the late spring of 1959 at Derby Works. D5022 was new to Norwich (32A) on September 7th 1959. Further transfers were:
November 1959 to Ipswich (32B)
Renumbered April 12th 1974.
After withdrawal 24022 was stored at Reddish until July 21st 1978 when it was moved to Doncaster Works, being broken up there by August 1978.
Movement: 24022 12.00 Reddish - Doncaster July 21st 1978.
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Derby Works May & June 1961.
A number of changes were taking place within the Class 24 design, principally to reduce the locomotive weight. The use of the separate differential exciter had received mixed reviews leading to an experiment with D5022. Here the exciter was eliminated, the control field of the main generator being fed direct from the auxiliary generator through the load regulator. This then became the norm from D5050, allowing further weight saving.
On July 6th 1975 24022 was placed into serviceable store and was dumped at Reddish alongside Longsight allocated 24005, 24020, 24021 & 24024, all of which had been placed to store on July 6th 1975. For about eighteen months the five Class 24s lingered at Reddish, on a variety of visits during this period the Class 24s were noted in various places about the depot. However on February 15th 1977 24005/20/21/24 were hauled away to Swindon as the 9X45 04.38 Reddish - Crewe - Banbury - Swindon special freight, leaving 24022 at Reddish keeping company with a variety of withdrawn Class 76s.
Seventeen months later on July 21st 1978 24022 departed Reddish as the 12.00 Reddish - Doncaster Works, and would be broken up there during August 1978.
Page created July 15th 2016