D5026, 5026, 24026
D5026, 5026, 24026


Photographer unknown at this time.
24026 stands in the deadlines at Crewe, date unknown, but sometime between August 1975 and October 1976. 24026 ended its days with the gangways doors sheeted over at the No.1 end, but retained at the No.2 end.

The fifteen year ten month career of D5026/24026 saw allocations to Eastern Region and London Midland Region depots.

Allocations

The frames for D5026 were laid down during the summer of 1959 at Derby Works. D5026 was new to Ipswich (32B) on October 22nd 1959. Further transfers were:

September 1960 to Stratford (30A)
November 1960 to Camden (1A) on loan, made permanent December 1960
December 1965 to Bescot (2F)
April 1966 to Birmingham Division (D02)
August 1967 to Stoke Division (D05)
May 1973 to Crewe
May 1973 to Longsight
March 1974 to Crewe
January 1975 to Longsight
May 1975 to Crewe
July 6th 1975 stored serviceable
August 10th 1975 - withdrawn.

Renumbered March 18th 1974.

24026 was stored at Reddish from July 1975 until August 1975, it was then moved down to Crewe, remaining here until October 20th 1976 when it was forwarded to Swindon and broken up there during the first week of January 1977.

Movement: 24026/31/44/76 Crewe - Swindon October 20th 1976 by 25245.

Works Visits

Works visits (records incomplete).

Noted Derby Works February 1961.
Noted Derby Works February & March 1962.
Noted Derby Works April 1963.
Noted Derby Works August - October 1964.
Noted Derby Works September 1966.
Noted Derby Works February 1971 (ex-works).
Noted Derby Works August 1973.
Noted Derby Works August - October 1974 (continuous?).

Highlights

1959
D5026 was delivered from Derby Works during late October.

Condition original: green livery with frame level stripe, full size fuel & water tanks, ridge sided sandboxes, two-rung bogie mounted footsteps.

1960
After almost a year at Ipswich D5026 moved to Stratford (30A) during September. Two months later D5026 had been transferred to Camden, remaining there for the next five years.

1961
D5026 was noted at Derby Works during February.

1962
D5026 was noted at Derby Works during February & March and recieved a repaint before outshopping.

1963
D5026 was noted at Derby Works during April.

1964
D5026 was noted at Derby Works from August to October.

1965
With the WCML electrification well under way a gradual move northward of the Class 24s took place with D5026 moving to Bescot (2F) in December.

1966
D5026 was noted at Derby Works during September.

1967
After twenty months allocated to Bescot/Birmingham Division D5026 moved to the Stoke Division during August.

1971
Noted at Derby Works during February was 5026.

An ex-works 5026 stands by the Test House on February 27th 1971. The gangway doors remain in place, whilst the locomotive has received the shortened boiler water tank. The position of the numbers and emblems contrasts with that of 5028 above.
Photograph courtesy John Gilbert

Condition February: blue/yellow livery, gangway doors present, full size water tank, shortened fuel tank, no blanking plates, hand/footholds plated over, two-rung bogie mounted footsteps, ridge sided sandboxes.

1973
During May 24026 moved to Longsight and was noted at Derby Works during August.

1974
After ten months at Longsight 24026 was transferred to Crewe in March and then spent August, September & October at Derby Works.

It looks like the August 30th 1974 Works Open Day was a cloudy affair as seen in this view of the deadlines with 24026 & 25024 closest to the camera. Look at all those duffel bags, 'Adidas' bags and the clothing of the visitors.
Photographer unknown.

Whilst under repair at Derby Works the No.1 cab front gangway doors of 24026 were sheeted over. One wonders about the expense incurred in such repairs when within twelve months the locomotive would be taken out of service and withdrawn. It may have been difficult to anticipate future traffic patterns but certainly the completion of the WCML eletrification was drawing near and the introduction of the HST passenger trains was also not far off. Both would lead to the cascading of locomotives and the withdrawal of surplus machines. And recent history had certainly shown that the Class 24s were expendable.

1975
24026 returned to Longsight during January, then transferred back to Crewe during May. The summer of 1975 brought the massive withdrawals to the Class 24 fleet with 24026 stored in early July followed by final withdrawal in August.

Condition final: blue/yellow livery, gangway doors sheeted over No.1 cab, gangway doors present No.2 cab, full sized water tank, shortened fuel tank, ridge sided sandboxes, two-rung bogie mounted footsteps, no blanking plates, hand/footholds plated over.

flk 0916

Page added February 25th 2000
Page updated October 26th 2016

Return to Picture menu
Return to Home page