D5029, 5029, 24029
D5029, 5029, 24029|
Photograph collection of webmaster.
An early view of D5029 at Matlock, date unknown but possibly sometime in 1961/62. The condition of the locomotive suggests it has been in service for several years.
The fifteen year eight month career of D5029/24029 saw allocations to Eastern Region and London Midland Region depots.
Built Derby Locomotive Works.
Full size fuel & water tanks (shortened water tank added later).
Four upper and four lower air filters on non-BIS side, three upper and four lower on BIS side.
Gangway doors not removed.
Time between last Classified repair and withdrawal: ?? months.
Time between withdrawal & scrapping: 19 months.
The frames for D5029 were laid down during the late summer of 1959 at Derby Works. D5029 was new to Ipswich (32B) on November 28th 1959. Further transfers were:
September 1960 to Stratford (30A).
March 1961 to Willesden (1A) on loan, made permanent April 196.
December 1965 to Bescot (2F).
April 1966 to Birmingham Division (D02).
August 1967 to Stoke Division (D05).
May 1973 to Crewe.
May 1973 to Longsight.
September 1973 to Crewe.
January 1975 to Longsight.
March 1975 to Crewe.
July 6th 1975 stored serviceable.
August 10th 1975 - withdrawn.
Renumbered March 30th 1974.
24029 was stored at Crewe from July 1975 until January 10th 1977, when it was forwarded to Swindon and broken up there during the second week of March 1977.
Movement: 24025/29/33/34 06.45 Crewe - Swindon January 10th/11th 1977 by 25269.
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Derby Works May 1961.
Noted Derby Works April 1962.
Noted Derby Works July 1963.
Noted Derby Works October 1964.
Noted Derby Works June & July 1966.
Noted Derby Works September & October 1969.
Noted Derby Works December 1970.
Noted Derby Works February & March 1974.
D5029 was the last locomotive of two orders totalling thirty locomotives (D5000 - D5029) built at Derby, with D5029 delivered to Ipswich (32B) during November.
A hazy April 23rd 1972 finds 5029 and train coming from the docks and passing Birkenhead shed (out of sight to the left). To the left and in view are Blackpool Street sidings with the shed side removed and the sidings for the gas works. On the right is whats left of the carriage sidings, and the yard for Cammel Laird traffic, you can see the bridge over the road giving access to the ship yard. Photograph collection of webmaster (AH/M).
During May 5029 moved to Longsight, then returned to Crewe during September.
24029 was under repair at Derby Works during February & March.
24029 returned to Longsight during January, but was transferred back to Crewe during March.
The summer of 1975 brought the massive withdrawals to the Class 24 fleet with 24029 stored in July followed by final withdrawal in August.
Condition final: blue/yellow livery, gangway doors present, full size fuel tank, shortened water tank, blanking plates fitted, hand/footholds plated over, straight sided sandboxes, three-rung bogie mounted footsteps
Page added September 13th 2016.
Last updated October 25th 2017.
Return to Picture menu
Return to Home page