D5035, 5035, 24035
D5035, 5035, 24035


Photograph collection of webmaster
24035 stabled at Stourbridge Junction on June 3rd 1978.

Built Crewe Locomotive Works.
Full size fuel & water tanks (shortened water tank fitted later).
Four upper and four lower air filters on non-BIS side, three upper and four lower on BIS side.
Boiler water tank removed (1975).
Time between last Classified repair and withdrawal: 38 months.
Time between withdrawal and scrapping: 3 months.

Allocations

The frames for D5035 were laid down during the late spring of 1959 at Crewe Works. D5035 was new to March (31B) on August 31st 1959. Further transfers were:

February 1960 to Stratford (30A).
March 1961 to Willesden (1A) on loan.
March 1961 to Stratford (30A).
April 1961 to Willesden (1A) on loan, made permanent May 1961.
September 1961 to Watford (1C).
January 1965 to Willesden (1A).
April 1966 to London Division (D01).
March 1967 to Birmingham Division (D02).
August 1967 to Stoke Division (D05).
May 1973 to Crewe.
November 2nd 1977 stored serviceable.
November 3rd 1977 reinstated to Crewe.
October 15th 1978 - withdrawn.

Renumbered April 7th 1974.

After withdrawal 24035 was stored at Crewe until moved to Doncaster Works on December 13th 1978, when 24035 & 24047 were dragged across the Pennines as the 05.00 9Z10 Crewe Depot - Doncaster Works special. After a career of just under twenty years 24035 was reduced to scrap during January 1979.

Works Visits

Works visits (records incomplete).

Noted Derby Works March 1962.
Noted Derby Works August 1963.
Noted Derby Works November 1964 - January 1965.
Noted Derby Works March & April 1966.
Noted Derby Works March 1972.
Noted Derby Works June - August 1975

Highlights

1959
D5035 was part of the first batch of Class 24s to be built at Crewe Works (D5030 - D5037), being one of the forty eight allocated to March (31B). These locomotives would join the new Brush & NBL Type 2s in the dieselisation of East Anglia.


Photograph courtesy F W Day
Shortly after delivery D5035 in pristine condition stands at Stratford on a murky day. The bogie mounted cab footsteps are of the two rung type.

1962
During March D5035 visited Derby Works. Possibly whilst at the Works it acquired the small yellow warning panel, with rounded corners at the top. The cantrail level boiler water filler cover appeared new, possibly a replacement added during its visit.

Condition April: green livery, small yellow warning panels, rounded upper corners, warning panel covers frame level stripe, full size fuel & water tanks, two rung bogie mounted footsteps, ridge sided sand boxes, engine exhaust in original position, cantrail water filler cover present.

1967
With the electrification at the southern end of the LMR progressing and with more new Class 25s ex-Derby Works being allocated to the London Division there began a gradual migration northwards of the older Type 2s, during March D5035 found a new home in the Birmingham Division (D02). During August a further move north, along with a great many others saw D5035 reach the Stoke Division (D05).

1968
D5035 was noted at Llanuwchllyn being used on the demolition train of the closed line between Dolgellau & west of Bala Lake.

1970
An unusual working for 5035 was the 6F01 10.35 Millerhill - Tyne on December 15th, somewhat off the beaten track for a Crewe based Class 24.

1972


An unremarkable shot circa April 1972 of 5035 at Stoke on Trent in green livery with full yellow ends. What is amazing is this was taken with a venerable Kodak Instamatic 100. Little else of this film has survived and it is most certain that the locomotive, in the guise of 24035 outlived the camera by quite a bit.

1975
On January 11th 24034 & 24035 were noted heading north through Huddersfield with an aggregates train.

The mass storage and withdrawals of the Class 24s in the summer included 24033 (August) & 24034 (July) but passed 24035 by, the locomotive was in Derby Works from June to August undergoing a major repair, alongside 24023 & 24083 these would be the last of the Class to receive a major repair anywhere. During this repair the boiler water tank was removed, as happened to several other Class 24s late in their lives.

1976


Photograph courtesy Peter Wilmott
A dull day at Crewe in September 1976 finds 24035 & 25159 passing through the station. Just visible is the fact that 24035 has had its boiler water tank removed. It still has two years left in service.


On a murky overcast February 17th, 1977 Cockshute is home to 24035. Just visible is the absence of the boiler water tank. In contrast to the view of 24035 in Holyhead shed (above) the electrification flashes at this end of the locomotive are outboard of the marker lights.

1977
April 15th found 24035 & 24023 working a freight to Rugby, about as far south as the Class 24s would now venture.


Photograph courtesy R Riley.
Whilst 24033 & 24034 were ending their days at Swindon, 24035 was racking up a few more miles in revenue earning service. The date and location are unknown for this view, but is believed to be in the Chester area.

1978
Additional summer services and holiday extras provided plenty of unusual diesel haulage on the North Wales line, however the star turn was still the diagram commencing with the 09.42 Llandudno - Manchester. The few remaining Class 24s were frequent performers on this diagram, July 12th saw 24023 start the diagram but it was replaced on the 20.30 Crewe - Bangor by 24063, which got only got as far as Chester before 24035 took over, which succumbed at Llandudno Junction!

24035 was withdrawn on October 15th 1978.

Page created January 15th 2001
Page last updated October 30th 2017

flk 0116 (1)

Return to Picture menu
Return to Home page