Built Crewe Works (from batch 5030 - 5065).
Full size fuel & water tanks.
Originally fitted with two-rung bogie footsteps.
Cab roof ventilators sheeted over at some point (whilst on the ER).
The sixteen year ten month career of 5037/24037 saw allocations to Eastern Region & London Midland Region depots.
The frames for D5037 were laid down during the early summer of 1959 at Crewe Works. D5037 was new to March (31B) on September 7th 1959. Further transfers were:
May 1960 to Ipswich (32B)
Renumbered January 28th 1974.
24037 was stored at Crewe from May 1976 until March 21st 1977 when it moved down to Swindon Works and scrapped there by the end of June 1977.
Movement information: 24027/30/37/83 9X29 06.50 Crewe - Banbury - Swindon March 21st 1977.
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Stratford Works April 1962.
Condition, early: green livery, no yellow warning panels, full size fuel & water tanks, two-rung bogie footsteps, silver buffers.
Condition (last quarter of year approx.): two-tone green livery with small yellow warning panel, gangway doors in place, full size fuel & water tanks, two-rung bogie footsteps, ventilators in cab roofs above cab doors sheeted over, exhaust port located above engine room.
A Marylebone – Aberdeen exhibition train reached Tyne Yard behind 5855, Crewe based 5037, one of the few to receive two-tone green livery, which it still had, took the train forward to Scotland (June??).
Condition December: still in two-tone green livery.
Page created June 30th 2016