Built Crewe Works (from batch 5030 - 5065).
Full size fuel & water tanks.
The nine year nine month career of D5043/5043 saw allocations to Eastern Region and London Midland Region depots.
The frames for D5043 were laid down during the summer of 1959 at Crewe Works. D5043 was new to Ipswich (32B) on October 16th 1959. Further transfers were:
October 1959 to March (31B).
July 1960 to Ipswich (32B).
November 1960 to March (31B).
July 1961 to Ipswich (32B).
August 1967 to Stoke Division (D05).
July 1969 to unserviceable store.
August 8th 1969 - withdrawn.
After withdrawal 5043 was stored at Chester with the other Type 2s damaged following the runaway iron ore train incident. During February 1970 the engines, generators, radiators and other equipment was removed from the locomotives using a large Cowans Sheldon crane. It is presumed these components were for reuse by British Railways. The stripped carcasses were later sold to J Cashmore, Great Bridge during April 1970, being finally dismantled during June 1970 at Great Bridge.
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Stratford Works November 1961.
Noted Stratford February 1962.
Noted Doncaster Works February & March 1963.
Noted Doncaster Works May 1965.
Between its delivery in October 1959 and July 1961 D5043 was bounced between Ipswich and March, with allocations to Ipswich, then March, back to Ipswich, to March again and then back to Ipswich, where it remained for a further six years.
Condition date unknown: green livery with small yellow warning panels, curved upper corners, frame level stripe not covered by bottom of yellow panel, small gap between stripe and bottom of warning panel, full size fuel & water tanks, two-rung bogie mounted footsteps, cab roof ventilators above cab doors sheeted over.
D5043 was noted at Stratford Works during November. Stratford was responsible for the heavier maintenance to these East Anglian based Class 24's, including responsibilty for a number of minor modifications during their early days.
D5043 was noted back at Stratford Works during February.
D5043 was noted under repair at Doncaster Works during February & March, possibly a victim of the severe weather.
Condition date unknown: green livery with small yellow warning panels, squared upper corners, frame level stripe covered by bottom of yellow panel, full size fuel & water tanks, three-rung bogie mounted footsteps, cab roof ventilators above cab doors (previously sheeted over), cantrail water cover filler in place - locomotive maybe ex-Doncaster Works.
As part of the plan to remove steam from the North West a large group of Class 24's were transferred to the Stoke Division (D05). These transfers included the Class 24's from the southern end of the WCML and all the Class 24's remaining in East Anglia. This included D5043, and would be its last transfer. Its duties would include the WCML between Rugby & Preston, the North Wales main line and its branches, the Cambrian lines to Aberystwyth & Pwhelli and the miriad of lines in the Liverpool and Manchester areas. Although primarily to be used on freight workings D5043 would from time to time be used on passenger services, particularly on summer excursions and extras. All heavy repairs would now generally be handled by Derby Works.
Chaos reigned at Chester in the early hours of July 9th after the 02.25 Birkenhead - Etruria iron ore train, weighing approximately 1,000 tons and hauled by Class 47 No.1617 was reported out of control, headed towards Chester station. Fortuitously the Mollington box signalman, who had accepted the ore train to his outer home signal, was allowing a light diesel from the coast line (Mold Junction) onto Chester shed. The light engine crew saw all was not well with the iron ore train and stayed put on the down Birkenhead. The iron ore train ran through all the signals at danger and took the route set for the light engine onto the shed. Two locomotives and eleven wagons were derailed, with 5031/43/93 & 5138/39 extensively damaged. The crew escaped major injury, though were treated for shock, not surprisingly. The latter four machines were quickly placed to store at Chester and then withdrawn during August, joining stored machines 5007/10/17/19 already there.
During February the damaged Class 24ís at Chester depot - 5043/93, 5138/39 were moved to sidings near the station, here a large Cowans Sheldon crane was used to remove the engines, generators, radiator equipment and other parts, presumably for reuse by British Railways. Parked with them were retired Class 12 shunters 12036/37/48. These Class 24's were all later sold to Cashmores, Great Bridge, eventually towed there and scrapped in their yard during the summer of 1970.
Page added June 25th 2016
Return to Picture menu
Return to Home page