D5057, 5057, 24057
D5057, 5057, 24057

Built Crewe Works (from batch 5030 - 5065).
Shortened fuel tank, full size water tank.
Trip cock fitted.

The eighteen year one month career of 5057/24057 saw allocations to Eastern Region & London Midland Region depots.

Allocations

The frames for D5057 were laid down at Crewe Works during the late summer of 1959, D5057 was new to March (31B) on December 22nd 1959. Further transfers were:

February 1961 to Finsbury Park (34G).
August 1966 to London Division (D01) on loan, made permanent September 1966.
April 1967 to Stoke Division (D05).
May 1973 to Crewe.
January 15th 1978 - withdrawn.

Renumbered March 30th 1974.

After withdrawal 24057 was stored at Crewe until May 11th 1978 when it moved to Doncaster Works and was broken up by the end of May 1978.

Movement: 24036/57/80/91 12.30 Crewe - Doncaster via Derby May 11th 1978 (layover at Derby).

Works Visits

Works visits (records incomplete).

Noted Derby Works February & March 1966.
Noted Derby Works April 1969.
Noted Derby Works March 1973.
Noted Derby Works April 1975.

Highlights

1966
During the summer the Eastern Region started a shake up of its motive power. Intent on stabilising its fleet principally with Classes 31/37/47, it began to divest itself of the Class 24s, with D5057 D5060 to Willesden (D01) and eleven others moving to Haymarket (64B).

1967
During March & April demolition of the former Midland Railway Bedford - Northampton line took place. London Division (D01) allocated D5057 & D5059 were recorded on March 17th & April 10th working trains recovering a variety of materials, including sleepers and track.

Condition April: green livery, small yellow warning panels, squared upper corners, the yellow covers the frame level stripe; steam style builders plate on cab front, trip cock fitted, blanking plates in place, hand/footholds present.

1968
Attending to a demolition train on the Caernarvon Afonwen on August 20th was D5057 noted at Groeslon.

1973
On January 19th 5057 spent the day on the wheel lathe at Gosforth!

Condition September: green livery with full yellow ends, full size water tank, shortened fuel tank, blanking plates fitted (at least one in blue), hand/footholds plated over, bodyside valencing removed.

1975
On February 21st 24044 & 24057, the latter still in green livery, arrived in Bristol with a freight from Holyhead.

47187 required the assistance of 24057 on August 1st whilst working the 09.05 Holyhead Euston.

1977
On May 26th 24057 & 25043 were noted at Hereford having arrived on a southbound freight.

Photograph courtesy Barrie Watkins
24057 at Winwick Junction with a breakdown crane on June 11th 1977.

1978
24057 was withdrawn on January 15th 1978.

flk 0616

Page added June 14th 2016.

Return to Picture menu
Return to Home page