D5075, 5075, 24075
D5075, 5075, 24075

Photograph collection of webmaster.
D5075 and another Class 24 at an unknown location & unknown date.

The fifteen year nine month career of D5075/24075 was spent entirely on the London Midland Region apart from a brief one month allocation to the Eastern Region.

Built Derby Locomotive Works.
Shortened fuel tank & full size water tank (shortened water tank fitted later).
Four upper and four lower air filters on non-BIS side, three upper and four lower on BIS side.
Gangway doors never removed.
Time between last Classified repair and withdrawal: ?? months.
Time between withdrawal & scrapping: 5 months.

Allocations

The frames for D5075 were laid down at Derby Works during November 1959, D5075 was new to March (31B) on March 26th 1960. Further transfers were:

April 1960 to Willesden (1A), on loan, made permanent May 1960.
April 1966 to London Division (D01).
December 1966 to Stoke Division (D05).
May 1973 to Crewe.
January 4th 1976 - stored serviceable.
January 31st 1976 - withdrawn.

Renumbered February 23rd 1974.

After withdrawal 24075 was stored at Crewe from January 1976 until February 12th 1976 when it was moved to Swindon Works, and scrapped there by the first week of July 1976.

Movement: 24053/75, 24143/145 06.45 9X22 Crewe Swindon February 12th 1976.

Works Visits

Works visits (records incomplete).

Noted Derby Works May & September 1960.
Noted Derby Works January - March, August 1962.
Noted Derby Works July - October 1966.
Noted Derby Works September 1968.
Noted Derby Works March & April 1972.

Highlights

The delivery of D5075 completed an order of ten built by Derby Locomotive Works. Sequentially D5076 - D5093 would follow but built by Crewe Locomotive Works, whilst Darlington would build D5094 - D5113. Derby would then complete the final Class 24 order with D5114 - D5150.

1972
A mystery excursion from the Malvern area to Barmouth on September 16th was powered by 5074 & 5075, the Class 24s being infrequent visitors to the Hereford Worcester line.

1974
Condition December: blue/yellow livery, gangway doors still in place, shortened fuel/water tanks, blanking plates fitted, hand/footholds plated over.

1976
24076 was withdrawn on January 31st 1976.

flk 1117

Page added May 30th 2016.
Last updated November 21st 2017.

Return to Picture menu
Return to Home page