The fifteen year career of D5095/24095 began with six years on the Eastern Region before transferring to the Scottish Region for the remaining nine years.
The frames for D5095 were laid down at Darlington Works during November 1959, this was the 2nd Class 24 to be built here. D5095 was new to March (31B) on March 25th 1960. Further transfers were:
June 1961 to Finsbury Park (34G)
Renumbered October 1973.
24095 was stored unserviceable from Haymarket depot early in July 1975 and retired about a month later on August 16th 1975. After withdrawal 24095 moved to Cadder Yard for storage until October 1975 when it was taken to Glasgow Works. It then moved to Doncaster Works on February 18th 1976 with 24008 & 24098 and broken up there during June 1976.
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Doncaster Works March 1964.
December 17th 1960: D5095 working the 12.53am Whitemoor - Broxbourne coal train hit a derailed vehicle in the 7.14pm Romford - Whitemoor parcels at Stretham Fen, Cambridgeshire at about 2.40am. D5095 suffered considerable cab damage whilst the force of the impact derailed the locomotive and sent it down an eight foot high embankment. Despite the considerable damage to the cab, the driver and second man escaped with only minor injuries.
Pictures of D5095/24095
Page added May 13th 2012