D5003, 5003, 24003
D5003, 5003, 24003|
Photograph courtesy British Railways
D5003 under construction at Derby Works in the last quarter of 1958.
Built Derby Locomotive Works.
Full size fuel & water tanks (shortened water tank added later).
Split radiator screens.
Five upper and four lower air filters on non-BIS side.
Headboard brackets (added whilst on Southern Region - never removed).
The sixteen year eight month career of D5003/24003 was spent allocated to London Midland Region, Southern Region & Scottish Region depots.
The frames for D5003 were laid down at Derby Works during September 1958 and was delivered new to Crewe South (5B) on December 12th 1958, but then immediately loaned to Derby (17A). Further transfers were:
January 24th 1959 to Hither Green (73C) on loan
April 1960 to Crewe South (5B)
May 1960 to Hither Green (73C) on loan
March 1962 to Willesden (1A)
June 1962 to Crewe South (5B)
June 1962 to Rugby (2A) (later 1F)
June 1965 to Bletchley (1E)
April 1966 to London Division (D01)
April 1967 to Stoke Division (D05)
March 1971 to Eastfield (65A) on loan
July 7th 1975 to serviceable store
August 16th 1975 withdrawn.
Renumbered April 1974.
After withdrawal 24003 was stored at Polmadie, then at Carlisle from August 1975 until October 1975, then Glasgow Works from October 1975 until January 23rd 1976 when it was forwarded to Doncaster Works and broken up during July 1976.
Movement: 24003/12/18/96 Glasgow Works – Doncaster (via ECML) January 23rd 1976.
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Derby Works February 1960.
Noted Eastleigh Works October 1960.
Noted Eastleigh Works October 1961.
Noted Derby Works June - July 1962 (ex-works).
Noted Derby Works January, February, September, November & December 1963.
Noted Derby Works May 1966.
Noted Derby Works January & February 1970.
The frames for D5003 were laid down at Derby Works during the summer of 1958, part of an order of twenty locomotives, which was itself a component of the original 'Modernisation Plan' inventory totalling 181 (later 184) locomotives. In order to speed the introduction of this class the first ten locomotives were equipped with power units built by Sulzer Brothers at Winterthur. When delivered in December D5003 was allocated to Crewe, but then immediately transferred to Derby (17A).
The New Year brought a request from the Southern Region to borrow locomotives for a short period pending the arrival of the BRCW Type 3s and the completion of the North Kent electrification scheme. The LMR obliged by sending fifteen new Class 24s to Hither Green (73C), with D5003 & D5005 making their way south via the Midland mainline on January 24th. It was well known that these early machines were considerably overweight, to alleviate this D5002 - D5006 had their steam heating boilers removed, giving these five machines a slightly better route availability.
During March the Type 2s continued driver training, in the process of which D5003 failed on March 4th near Faversham, being assisted to the shed by the following two coach instruction train. Investigation by a fitter the next day found an electrical circuit had been closed accidentally, resetting the switch brought the engine back to life.
One of the duties acquired by the Hither Green based Class 24s was the handling of the boat trains from Folkestone. The stock was brought up the steeply graded branch from Folkestone Harbour by steam locomotives, with the diesels backing onto the train alongside the mainline east of Folkestone station.
The Type 2s shown here are D5003 & D5004, close investigation of the photograph reveals they have had their boiler water tanks removed (along with their boilers), as one of the measures taken to reduce their axle loading whilst working on Southern metals.
Condition no month: green livery with frame level stripe, gangway doors present, no headboard brackets fitted, full size fuel tanks - water tank removed, no blanking plates, hand/footholds present, cantrail water filler cover present, ridge sided sandboxes, two-rung bogie mounted footsteps, five upper & four lower ventilators on non-BIS side, split radiator screens fitted (both sides), all valencing fitted.
D5003 made a brief visit to Derby Works in February, it also received a temporary transfer to Crewe South (5B) during April, in order that the steam heating boiler might be refitted (?), then it was back to the Southern Region, the SR CM&EE had eased up somewhat on the weight restrictions for this class.
Because of their presence on the Southern Region the Class 24s were now frequently visiting Eastleigh Works for repairs, D5003 was present in October.
Typical of the winter duties for the SR Type 2s was the use of D6538 & D5003 on February 26th's down Golden Arrow, the Type 2 supplying the steam heat. D5003 visited Eastleigh Works during October.
The Southern Region was now over its temporary shortage of power, the Kent Coast scheme was up and running and the Type 3s were now being recieved from BRCW's Smethwick plant. Hence the loaned LMR Type 2s started to migrate back to depots north of the Thames, with D5003 transferred to Willesden (1A) during March. During June Rugby (2A) became its new home to work the Birmingham - Coventry - Rugby locals. D5003 spent much of June & July at Derby Works.
Condition (maybe 1962 prior to visit to Derby Works): green livery with small yellow warning panels, curved upper corners, frame level stripe, gangway doors present, headboard brackets fitted, full size fuel & water tanks, no blanking plates fitted, hand/footholds present, ridge sided sandboxes, two-rung bogie mounted footsteps, five upper & four lower ventilators on non-BIS side, split radiator screens fitted (both sides), all valencing fitted.
Photograph collection of webmaster
D5003 with an engineering train, believed to be on the North London line between Upper Holloway and Junction Road Junction, looking south-west.
D5003 spent considerable time at Derby Works, being noted there during January & February and also in September, November & December.
D5003 moved to Bletchley (1E) during June.
Condition (not sure of year): green livery with small yellow warning panels, squared upper corners, frame level stripe, gangway doors present, headboard brackets fitted, full size fuel tank, shortened water tank, blanking plates fitted, hand/footholds present, ridge sided sandboxes, two-rung bogie mounted footsteps, five upper & four lower ventilators on non-BIS side, split radiator screens fitted (both sides), most valencing fitted, engine exhaust above engine room.
Condition June: green livery with small yellow warning panels, squared upper corners, warning panel covers frame level stripe, gangway doors present, headboard brackets fitted, paintwork looks very ex-Works (noted at Derby Works during May).
The completion of the electrification out of Euston, with the local services in the hands of the AM10s and the continuing arrival of the later Derby & Beyer Peacock built non-boilered, dual braked Class 25s to work the local parcels & freight workings found the Class 24s with diminishing duties. However in the North West steam was still very active, so late in 1966 a mass exodus commenced with many Class 24s headed north to the Stoke Division (D05), although it is with Crewe that they would be long remembered. D5003 made the move north in April in conjuction with D5000 - D5010 & D5057 - D5060.
The original order of D5000 - D5019 lacked certain refinements/improvements added to the later members of the Class. Thus when a surplus of Type 2s occurred as a result of shrinking freight traffic, service cutbacks and line closures, the original twenty were prime candidates for taking out of service. However D5003 was not one of those to be taken out of service during 1969.
For 5003 January & February were spent under repair at Derby Works. The locomotive had received minor damage to the No.2 cab, the corner on the driver's side had sustained minor scrape damage, with an estimated repair bill of £1,300. The locomotive still retained green livery with the small yellow warning panels, with squared upper corners, ridge sided sandboxes and two-rung bogie mounted footsteps.
During March 5003 moved north to Eastfield (65A), this would be its last transfer, the move was part of a large group of locomotives sent north to assist the authorities in removing the remaining Claytons and North British types.
1975 - 1977
With the WCML electrification complete and its resultant cascading of locomotives creating a surplus in the lower powered category the decision was made to store/withdraw the greater part of the Class 24 fleet. This occurred during the summer of 1975 with 24003 stored in July and then withdrawn during August. 24003 was initially stored at Carlisle Kingmoor, but had reached Glasgow Works during October for spares removal. On January 23rd the first batch of withdrawn Class 24's from Scotland headed south, with 24003/12/18/96 comprising a St Rollox - Doncaster special. 24003 would linger until July 1976 when the cutters at Doncaster finally did the job, ending an existance for 24003 of about eighteen years.
Photograph courtesy Tony Sayer
Its October 21st 1975 and 24003 waits at Glasgow Works for its demise. However it had one more journey to make for it would be at Doncaster where the end finally came. Just visible at the far end is evidence that 24003 carried is split frost screens to the end.
24003 & 24096 await time at the back of Doncaster Depot on May 21st 1976. 24003 still carries its split radiator frost screens, also the headboard brackets and the additional ventilator unique to the early build.
Condition final: blue/yellow livery, gangway doors sheeted over, headcode discs centered on cabfront, headboard brackets fitted (both ends), full size fueltank, shortened water tank, blanking plates fitted, hand/footholds plated over, straight sided sandboxes (No.2 end), three-rung bogie mounted footsteps, five upper & four lower ventilators on non-BIS side, split radiator screens fitted (both sides), scrape mark on BIS side high up to right of blanking plate.
Page added August 29th 2016.
Last updated October 27th 2016.
Return to Picture menu
Return to Home page