D5051, 5051, first Class 24 withdrawn
D5051
The first Class 24 withdrawn


Photographer unknown at this time.
D5051 is seen here in pretty much 'as delivered' condition, no electrification flashes, the roof mounted water filler cover still intact and the paintwork still showing signs of its ex-works shine, therefore probably its early 1960 in this view. Although the photograph came with no information the location is Ely North Junction. Although not visible in this photograph a similar view of D5061 shows Ely cathedral just visible near the signal gantry. This view was previously thought to be the junction at Westerfield.

The eight year career of D5051 saw allocations to Eastern Region & Scottish Region depots.

Built Crewe Locomotive Works.
Shortened fuel tank & full size water tank (retained until withdrawn).
Four upper and four lower air filters on non-BIS side, three upper and four lower on BIS side.
Cab roof ventilators sheeted over (Eastern Region modification).
Ganway doors never removed.
Time between last Classified repair and withdrawal: ?? months.
Time between withdrawal and scrapping: 10 months.

Allocations

The frames for D5051 were laid down at Crewe Works during the late summer of 1959, D5051 was new to March (31B) on December 5th 1959. Further transfers were:

January 1961 to Finsbury Park (34G).
October 1966 to Eastfield (65A) on loan, made permanent December 1966.
December 2nd 1967 - withdrawn.

After withdrawal D5051 was moved to Inverurie Works (noted there during April 1968), by the middle of August 1968 it had been heavily stripped, with the remains scrapped there by October 1968.

Works Visits

Works visits (records incomplete).

Noted Stratford Works June 1962.
Noted Doncaster Works November 1963.
Noted Doncaster Works April & May 1965.
Noted Darlington Works September 1965.

Highlights

1959
D5051 was delivered from Crewe during December to March (31B). This was one of a large batch of Type 2's (D5045 - D5082) initially delivered to March for dieselisation of the East Anglian services. However due to the continuing influx of the Brush Type 2's and English Elictric Type 3's many of these Class 24's were quickly transferred away.

1960
Condition date uncertain (but allocated to March): green livery with frame level stripe, shortened fuel tank, full size water tank, cantrail water filler cover present, ridge sided sandboxes, three-rung bogie mounted footsteps, steam style shedplate on cabfront.

1961
D5051 stayed for about a year at Ipswich before moving to Finsbury Park (34G) in January.

1962
A visit to Stratford Works was made during May.

Condition June: green livery with small yellow warning panels (all paintwork looks very fresh), curved upper corners, frame level stripe is not covered and there is a small gap between the stripe and the bottom of the yellow warning panel.

1963
Late in the year, during November a visit was made to Doncaster Works.

1965
Another visit was made to Doncaster, this time during April - May. During September D5051 was noted in Darlington Works yard.

1966
The lowlands of Eastern England and the suburbs of London gave way to the more rugged landscape of the Borders region after its transfer to Haymarket (64B), with the Waverley Route passenger services quickly seeing the use of these new arrivals.

1967
Double headed Gateshead Type 2s worked the Saturday's only Newcastle - Ayr - Stranraer passenger in both directions. So noted on July 15th was D7611 & D5051, the ScR machines no doubt deputising for failures, especially on the eastbound runs.

Condition August: green livery with small yellow warning panels, curved upper corners, frame level stripe covered bottom of yellow warning panel; full size water tank, shortened fuel tank, blanking plates fitted, hand/footholds present, all valencing present, No.1 cab roof driver's side - ventilator above cab door covered over.

1968
Visits to the Ayrshire coalfield were frequent, and it was on a Waterside coal working during November that D5051 caught fire, sustaining considerable damage, necessitating a visit to the workshops at Inverurie, being noted at the Works at least by April 1968.

Repairs to this machine were not approved, thus leading to D5051 achieving two 'firsts', it would be the first BR/Sulzer Type 2 to be withdrawn and it would be the first and only BR/Sulzer Type 2 to be broken up at Inverurie Works (during September/October 1968). The final Type 2, D7677 had been delivered in April 1967, thus the entire fleet of 478 locomotives remained intact for only about seven months!

Condition final: green livery with small yellow warning panels, blanking plates fitted, hand/footholds present, three-rung bogie mounted footsteps.

flk 1117

Page updated September 26th, 2003
Last updated November 6th 2017

Return to Picture menu
Return to Home page