D5054, 25054, ADB968008
D5054, 5054, 24054, ADB968008|
Photographer not known at this time
In a period view at Peterborough East D5054 awaits departure with an eastbound service. This locomotive was new to Ipswich (31B) during the middle of December 1959, being one of a number of machines used to dieselise East Anglia, one of the first areas in the country to have all its train services dieselised. Presumably from the condition of the locomotive it is not long out of Crewe Works. During January 1961 D5054 was transferred to Finsbury Park (34G), being featured frequently on the suburban services out of Kings Cross.
The sixteen year seven month revenue earning career of 5054/24054 saw allocations to Eastern Region, Scottish Region & London Midland Region depots.
Built Crewe Locomotive Works.
Shortened fuel tank & full size water tank (shortened water tank fitted later).
Four upper and four lower air filters on non-BIS side, three upper and four lower on BIS side.
Tripcock fitted (Eastern Region modification).
Circular gauge added to fuel & water tank (at least by 1969).
Time between last Classified repair and withdrawal: ?? months.
The frames for D5054 were laid down at Crewe Works during the late summer of 1959, D5054 was new to March (31B) on December 18th 1959. Further transfers were:
January 1961 to Finsbury Park (34G).
October 1966 to Eastfield (65A) on loan, made permanent December 1966.
March 1968 to Carlisle Kingmoor (12A) on loan, made permanent April 1968.
April 1968 to Longsight (9A).
June 1968 to Manchester Division (D09).
September 1968 to Stoke Division (D05).
May 1973 to Crewe.
May 2nd 1976 - to serviceable store.
July 17th 1976 - withdrawn.
Renumbered February 16th 1974.
After withdrawal 24054 was stored at Crewe Basford Hall until August 1976 when it was reactivated into Departmental stock and renumbered ADB968008, departing for Exeter on August 31st 1976.
The allocation histories of 24054, 24055 & 24056 are virtually identical, although 24054 lasted an extra year in ordinairy service.
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Derby Works October & November 1965.
Noted Derby Works February 1971.
Noted Derby Works June & August 1974.
Noted Derby Works yard June - August 1975.
Super power took hold of June 22nd’s 8.30pm Dagenham Dock - Cambridge freight with D5054 & D5064 rescuing an ailing D5509.
On November 1st 70035 failed at Ipswich on the down Harwich - Liverpool Central working, D5054 substituted as far as Sheffield, returning somewhat late with the up working!
On December 7th D5054 was derailed on the fast lines at Millbrook (Bedford) causing delays to numerous passenger expresses.
Photograph courtesy the Rex Conway collection
Another fine period view of sisters D5053 & D5054 on shed at Hornsey. The locomotives are not long out of Crewe Works, but enough time has passed for D5054 to have lost its curved roof panel that covered the boiler water filler. The locomotive sports the smaller fuel tank. They are also fitted with trip-cock equipment.
A close-up of the tripcock equipment fitted to D5054.
During October D5054 moved to Eastfield (65A), remaining here until March 1968 when the locomotive headed south to Carlisle (12A).
June 7th saw the end of regular steam hauled passenger service into Scotland with the 20.32 Carlisle - Perth succumbing to diesel power, Type 2s being the norm, recent examples being ScR based D5054 & D5128.
During April the locomotive was transferred to Longsight (9A), then the Manchester Division (D09) in June 1968, then in September the Stoke Division (D05) became its home, the last move for this machine. Like many of the Crewe machines 5054 would be well travelled, along the North Wales coast to Holyhead, over the Cambrian lines to Aberystwyth & Pwllheli, as well as much work in the Stoke and Birmingham areas.
Condition no month: green livery with small yellow warning panels, square upper corners, bottom of panel does not cover frame level stripe; gangway doors fitted, shortened fuel tank, full size water tank (no circular gauges fitted), ridge sided sandboxes, three rung bogie mounted footsteps, blanking plate fitted, hand/footholds present, valencing fitted, 'D' prefixes present.
Condition no month: green livery with full yellow cab fronts (no frame level stripe), gangway doors fitted, shortened fuel & water tanks, both fitted with circular gauges, engine exhaust located above engine, ridge sided sandboxes, three rung bogie mounted footsteps, blanking plate fitted, hand/footholds present, valencing fitted, 'D' prefixes present.
On December 8th the eleven coach Wirral Railway Circle 'Cambrian Coast Express' was worked roundtrip Crewe - Pwllheli by 5054 & 5076.
The summer of 1975 found 24054 in Derby Works, no doubt for the last major attention it would receive.
Photograph courtesy R Riley
24054 sometime after its last visit to Derby Works during 1975.
On May 1st 24054 & 24133 handled the Crewe – Llandudno leg of an excursion from Euston. The next day 24054 was placed in store at Crewe.
Photograph courtesy Tony Sayer
24054 awaits in the deadline at Crewe Basford Hall, July 26th 1976. In its final condition 24054 carries blue/yellow livery, the gangway doors have been sheeted over, the bodyside valencing has been removed, blanking plates are fitted, the hand/footholds are plated over. The full size water tank has been replaced with a shortened version and both fuel & water tanks have circular gauges. Two-rung bogie footsteps are fitted.
24054 was withdrawn on July 17th 1976.
At the end of August 24054 & 24142 were pulled from the deadlines at Basford Hall and sent to the Western Region for further use as carriage heating units. On August 31st they arrived at Exeter Riverside at 4.38pm behind 45012 as part of a milk train, or an 'unidentified' fitted freight (6V53 Down Stoke - St. Blazey china clay empties from Bescot is a candidate), then 45012 tripped the Class 24s to Exeter stabling point, by September 3rd they were still at Exeter but now coupled to a BV ready for onward movement to Laira.
As a train heating unit changes included having the boiler exhaust plated over, eth connections fitted and external controls added to the valencing on the driver's side of the cab.
On May 9th a reshuffle of the WR carriage heating units took place, with unit ADB968008 (24054) moved from Penzance to Plymouth, whilst ADB968009 (24142) moved from Plymouth to Worcester.
Carriage heating unit ADB968008 (24054) was noted at Newton Abbott on March 5th.
Photograph courtesy Adrian Healey
ADB968008 at rest at Newton Abbott
The completion of the Crown Point (Norwich) carriage depot led to a significant shake up of the various train heating units with a number of the former Class 31 & BTH units condemned. ADB968008 (ex 24054) journeyed from Newton Abbot to Stratford, being noted there from (at least) mid-March 1982 to October 1982. It appears a repaint of the body, cab fronts and roof was undertaken at Stratford, the roof was painted black and the cab handrails were yellow. It also received its number (ADB968008) in large letters. It arrived at Cambridge during December to act as a spare whilst withdrawn ADB968009 (ex 24142) was moved to Stratford for spares removal prior to being sold for scrap.
Photograph courtesy 'richiebek'
Freshly repainted ADB 968008 at March during September 1983.
The move of ADB968008 (24054) and the two former Class 31 train heating units to Cambridge proved to be short-lived due to the excessive noise created especially with the close proximity of a residential neighbourhood. By mid December all three machines had moved to March.
ADB968008 (24054) finally reached preservation at the East Lancashire Railway, Bury on October 13th, having spent the first half of the month in transit from March.
Photograph courtesy Mark Bennett
Better times at the ELR for 24054, the third Class 24 to be preserved.
Photograph courtesy Phillip Moore
Stranger times at the ELR, what a Class 24 might have looked like had they survived two decades longer! March 2002.
A builders plate (Crewe 1959) from 24054 sold at Stafford Auctions for £300 during January 2016.
flk 1117 (not D5054).
Page added November 3rd 2000
Last updated February 1st 2018
Return to Picture menu
Return to Home page