A gloomy, overcast view of 24021 and 24005/022/024 (not sure of the exact order) in store at Reddish on December 29th 1975. This locomotive was one of those that retained its gangway doors to the end of its career. It also did not carry the BR 'barbed wire inter-city' emblem, rather this machine retained the 'lion & wheel' logo to the very end, its just visible at the far end of the locomotive. The position of the blue star coupling code symbols on the cab front is also a little unusual.
The sixteen year career of D5021/24021 included allocations to the London Midland Region & Eastern Region.
Built Derby Locomotive Works.
The allocation histories and working careers of 24020 & 24021 are very similar.
The frames for D5021 were laid down during the late spring of 1959 at Derby Works. D5021 was new to Ipswich (32B) on August 20th 1959. Further transfers were:
March 1961 to Stratford (30A).
Renumbered March 30th 1974.
After withdrawal 24021 was stored at Reddish until February 15th 1977 when it was moved to Swindon Works, being broken up there by the last week of March 1977.
Movement: 24005/20/21/24 9X45 04.38 Reddish - Crewe - Banbury -Swindon February 15th 1977
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Derby Works October & November 1962.
D5021 visited Derby Works during October & November.
D5021 worked the 09.46 Peterborough East to Northampton train on October 29th.
Condition October: green livery with small yellow warning panels, curved upper corners, warning panel does not completely cover the frame level stripe, full size fuel & water tanks, two-rung bogie footsteps.
Because of the heavy workload at Derby Locomotive Works, several Type 2s were sent to the Brush Works, Loughborough for repair, including collision damaged D 5021, D5218 & D5283.
With regard to the June 10th directive to begin painting locomotives in blue & yellow livery on August 2nd Brush wrote to the CM&EE BR at Derby with concern over three points: would the polyurethane paint be used on those locomotives being refurbished at Loughborough; would it be used on new locomotives from the current order and would BR take their stocks of green paint off them if the change to blue livery was to include those locomotives at Brush? The CM&EE BR responded in the affirmative for each question. At the end of 1966 Brush held three collision damaged Type 2s: D5021, D5218 & D5283, instructions had been received to repaint them green, this took place for D5021 & D5218 but on January 5th 1967 instructions were received from A.E.Robson, Chief Engineer (T&RS) to repaint all three in the new blue polyurethane livery. However D5021 & D5218 were outshopped with old-style small yellow warning panels and both received the old style crest!
The repaint into blue livery at Brush would be the last full repaint for D5021, but it would receive full yellow cab fronts during the 1970s.
5020 - 5023 moved to the Manchester Division (D09) in March.
At about 5.30pm on June 6th 5021 was noted on an up freight at Newton le Willows. 5021 was the Manchester Victoria banker (T43) on June 8th & 9th.
5021 was noted at Derby Works during September.
5021 was the Manchester Victoria banker (T43) on September 29th & 30th.
5021 was the Manchester Victoria banker (T43) on October 2nd.
5021 was on empty coaching stock duty at Manchester Piccadilly on October 14th.
5021 was the Manchester Victoria banker (T43) on February 5th & 6th.
5021 was the Manchester Victoria banker (T43) on March 2nd.
5021 was the Manchester Victoria banker (T43) on April 2nd.
With the abandonment of the LMR Divison allocations 5021 was allocated to Longsight during May.
5021 was the Manchester Victoria banker (T42) on June 25th, 27th & 28th.
5021 was the Manchester Victoria banker (T42) on July 12th, 13th & 16th.
At about 7am on August 1st 5021 was noted passing Ordsall Lane with an up van train.
At about 6pm on September 5th 5021 was noted passing Manchester Victoria on an up freight.
During the early afternoon of August 20th 24021 was noted at Heaton Norris Junction on a down van train.
At about 10pm on September 9th 24021 was noted at Manchester Victoria with a van train.
24021 was the Manchester Victoria banker (T42) on February 24th, 25th & 26th.
24021 was the Manchester Victoria banker (T42) on June 6th. At about 7am on June 7th 24021 was noted at Manchester Victoria with an up van train. 24021 was the Manchester Victoria banker (T42) on June 9th. At about 6pm on June 11th 24021 was noted at Manchester Victoria with an up freight. At about 6pm on June 12th 24021 was noted at Manchester Victoria with a down van train. 24021 was noted westbound through Manchester Victoria with a short parcels train on June 28th. At about 5.30pm on June 30th 24021 was noted passing Ordsall Lane with an up freight.
At about 6pm on July 1st 24021 was noted in Miles Platting yard.
In the big purge of the Class 24s during the summer of 1975 24021 was placed into store at Reddish during the first week of July and then withdrawn on August 10th.
Occasionally the sun did shine on our visits to Reddish - on this particular visit on August 29th 1976 24021 was noted on the other side of Reddish depot. The paint has continued its fade into oblivion. Behind 24021 sits 24024.
The end came on February 15th 1977 when 24005/20/21/24 were hauled away to Swindon as the 9X45 04.38 Reddish - Crewe - Banbury - Swindon special freight. Both were scrapped within a week of each other at the end of March/beginning of April.
Condition Final: blue/yellow livery, gangway doors present, full size water tank, shortened fuel tank, hand/footholds plated over, straight sided sandboxes, two & three rung bogie mounted footsteps, carried BR 'Lion & Wheel' emblem to the end.
flk 1017 (2)
Page created February 25th 2000.