45022, 45112, 45143, D60, lytham st anns
D60/60/45022 Lytham St. Annes
D61/61/45112 Royal Army Ordnance Corps
D62/62/45143 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards

D60/61/62 were delivered new from Crewe to Derby (17A) during February and March. They had originally been ordered for completion at Derby but the order was transferred to Crewe as part of the batch D58 - D67 and were delivered at the same time that Derby was turning out Class 46's D154 - 159. Their duties would feature much running over the lines northward from St Pancras.

Photograph courtesy Wally Hobson.
Its April 8th 1962 as an almost brand new D62 stands at Holbeck, its fresh paintwork glistening in the sun. In this as-delivered condition it was fitted with multiple unit working jumper cables, which were probably never used and soon removed.

During March D61 & 62 moved to Cricklewood (14A), however by the end of the month they were back to 17A. D61 would head back south to Cricklewood during July.

D62 was transfered to 16A during June, whilst D60 moved to Cricklewood in September.

Photograph collection of webmaster.
An undated view of a very work worn D60 sometime early in its career, still carrying the small yellow warning panel.

D62 was transfered to the Midland Lines in June. D61 was named 'Royal Army Ordnance Corps' at Derby Works on September 14th 1965.

D60 & 61 moved to the Nottingham Division during August.

Photograph courtesy J R Lamin (Andrew Lamin).
D62 at Nottingham during the 3rd quarter of 1966. The locomotive has either recently been outshopped or has undergone a repaint.

D61 was transferred to the Midland Lines during January, followed by D60 in March. This latter locomotive was transferred back to the Nottingham Division during December.

On July 28th Clapham Junction witnessed the failure of D117 whilst working the Stirling - Newhaven car-sleeper. It stalled across the main lines, a station pilot dragged the train back into the station, the Peak being replaced by E6004, a delay of two hours having been created. The return working used an electric locomotive to Three Bridges where an LMR diesel was waiting to take over. From time to time the Peaks laying over at Newhaven would be used on local trip workings, with D60 so noted on August 18th working a trip to Norwood.

A busy weekend was encountered by D62 commencing August 23rd when it arrived at Newton Abbott with the car carrier from Edinburgh, it returned on the same working on 25th, then making a round trip to Sutton Coldfield before taking out the 26th's 08.20 Paignton- Newcastle!

In 1965 a refurbishment programme commenced for the Class 46's, a similar programme for the Class 45's began during June 1967 and the first locomotive treated was D60. The programme included over two hundred internal & external modifications intended to improve their reliability. Due to the cost only the early examples received for refurbishment received all the modifications.

Some of the obvious alterations included:

Fitting the later style single panel headcode
Replacement of the lower bodyside panel for a louvred panel
Nose end grilles were changed from fixed aluminium to hinged steel with latches
Six inch handrails were added to the nose inboard of the marker lights
The vertical boiler room grille was plated over
Roof filling hatches and the steps/handholds to the filler were plated over

Other less obvious changes included

Installation of bodyside filters throughout the engine room
Division of the engine room roof between the main section and the exhaust silencer
Air reservoirs moved from the No.2 nose end to allow for later installation of the compressor for train airbrake equipment
Triplex gold laminated windscreens fitted in place of the double glazed type, & now demister equipped
Improved windscreen wiper motors fitted, windscreen washers installed

As is well reported elsewhere the Sulzer 12LDA28B power unit also received numerous improvements to strengthen the engine and to correct problems brought to light since first entering service in 1960. Traction motors also received new armature shafts, a different gade of carbon brushes were installed along with new brush springs. Lubrication for the axleboxes and bogies was changed from oil to grease, the segmental bearing filler points were plated over.

And presumably for D60 this is when it received its blue livery.

A move northwards for D60 took place in August when it was transferred to Leeds Holbeck (55A).

Since the arrival of the Peaks at Holbeck they had been increasingly used on the named Thames-Clyde and Waverley passenger trains as well as other daytime and sleeper services over these Anglo-Scottish routes. When the much delayed closure of the Carlisle - Edinburgh 'Waverley' route finally occurred early in 1969 the Peaks were still front line power for the passenger services and it would be left for one of them to handle the last Up Waverley.

It was therefore no surprise to find 60 "Lytham St Annes' diagrammed for the last scheduled train, the 1M82 21.56 Edinburgh - St. Pancras, with eight coaches and two sleepers. Carlisle was reached over two hours late caused by the boisterous activities of many local people protesting the closure of the route. The Hawick pilot, 8606, was sent ahead light engine to ensure the integrity of the line south of Hawick. A light snow fall had taken place during the day, but the evening saw clearing allowing the sun to set one last time on this run and providing the protesters with a chilly night out.

The four views below, courtesy of Bruce McCartney show the late evening arrival of the last Up Waverley at Hawick with its attendant crowd of passengers and those protesting the closure of the route.

Photograph courtesy Bruce McCartney.
Fur coats and a variety of hats are on hand to greet the last Up Waverley as it rolls into Hawick on a chilly January evening. History in the making, an event which had been seen many times in the Beeching era.

Photograph courtesy Bruce McCartney.
With steam drifting everywhere the crew of 60 Lytham St Annes prepare for the next part of this eventful journey. What was drawing the curiosity of the driver from his window seat? Within minutes it won't matter, the commotion and busyness of Hawick will vanish as the train disappears into the wilds of the Cheviot Hills on its way to Carlisle. For the last time.

Photograph courtesy Bruce McCartney.
How many times 60 'Lytham St Annes' made this journey over the Waverley Route is now lost to time. This working was no doubt its fifteen minutes of fame, splashed across the national dailies the following morning. Who now can recall the events, if any, of the last Down Waverley?

Photograph courtesy Bruce McCartney.
In the movies the heroes ride off into the sunset and live happily ever after. Here there is no happy ending, stillness will rapidly return as the train fades into the night and the rails will soon be silent, the swirling steam gone, just a cold empty platform - forever.

(Additional notes for the above views)
To answer the question posed in the second view above - it is the Hawick signalman, Gordon Hall, stepping down from the cab of the Peak, he has just given the driver verbal instructions to pass the Home signal at Hawick at danger under the "section clear, but station or junction blocked" regulation, because the pilot locomotive, sent ahead, was still in the section. Signalman Hall had changed shifts to be on duty in order to be able to pull the signal for the last train to leave, which he was not able to do, since the Up Waverley would depart under his verbal instruction.

After originally posting the views above further information has come to light surrounding the events of that chilly night. The second view features driver Fleming at the controls of the Up Waverley, out of view is fireman Patterson, both of Haymarket depot. The driver is in the process of receiving verbal instructions to proceed southward, neccessary due to the unruly activities of people further south, particularly in the vicinity of Newcastleton. The gentleman facing the locomotive and staring downwards is none other than David Steel, MP, who would eventually join the train. The Up Waverley had arrived at Hawick at 23.27 and left fractionally after midnight. It was preceded by the Hawick pilot, Clayton Type 1 D8606 in charge of Hawick driver Wylie accompanied by Relief Supervisor Jones and some Permanent Way staff.

The pilot had left Hawick just prior to the arrival of the Up Waverley, proceeding south to inspect the line. It reached Newcastleton safely shortly before midnight, having exploded a good quantity of detonators en-route. With this section of the route considered safe the Up Waverley was allowed to enter the section eventually catching up with the Hawick pilot at Newcastleton where an unruly crowd of about forty villagers had gathered and blocked the line.

At Newcastleton trouble had been brewing for a while. Persons unknown had chained the level crossing gates shut, however the gates were quickly released from this impediment by local Permanent Way staff. A large crowd had gathered intent on ensuring that the level crossing gates remained closed to rail traffic. In this process vandalism occurred and the gates were damaged, the local church minister, Mr Maben taking a significant part in leading the 'uprising'. A Landrover used by a BR Traffic Inspector was commandeered and placed in the middle of the level crossing. With the situation becoming more unruly a large police contingent was summonsed to deal with the crowd, now estimated at some two hundred villagers.

Scuffling broke out when the first police arrived, the Landrover was removed from the level crossing but the police were less successful in clearing the crowd from the level crossing. Whilst all this was taking place Clayton 8606 had been sitting a short distance away from the level crossing. The Up Waverley arrived at the Newcastleton home signal at about 00.45, here David Steel, MP alighted to try and assist with a diplomatic dispersal of the large crowd. His attempts were met by equal rhetoric from minister Maben, who was soon 'escorted' away by the police, leading to the crowd becoming evening more threatening.

Further police arrived to protect the train, a second address to the crowd by Mr Steel and the release of minister Maben without charges being pressed led to the crowd taking on a more peaceable atmosphere, such that the police were then able to clear the level crossing and assist the railway staff in opening the gates to rail traffic. Just after 01.30 the pilot headed south towards Kershopefoot. In attempting to draw clear of the crossing it was found that the hose pipe on the last vehicle of the Up Waverley (BG 80834) had been cut, destroying any vacuum the locomotive was trying to create. The brakes on the vehicle were isolated and the train drew forward only to have the communication chord pulled midway over the level crossing! This was soon corrected and with word received that the pilot had reached Kershopefoot safely the Up Waverley departed Newcastleton at 01.50. Five minutes later the Traffic Inspector was dropped off at Kershopefoot, the section through to Longtown was travelled under caution, clearing Longtown at 02.13 without incident.

The pilot returned north from Newcastleton reaching Hawick shortly after 02.30.

Class 45's were again diagrammed to cover the summer dated Sheffield - Portsmouth Harbour and return, with 81 noted on this working on June 25th. The month of July found 75 (4th), 58 (11th) & 61 (18th) working this service. This year the Nottingham - Ramsgate service was in the hands of Class 47's, either throughout or utilising Class 33's from Brent.

March 17th found 60 in charge of the down 'Thames-Clyde', unfortunately somewhere south of Carlisle it required assistance from 406, on arrival at Carlisle 210 was waiting to take the train forward.

Normally an LMR Class 40 working the Saturdays only 10.35 Edinburgh - Blackpool produced 60 'Lytham St Annes' on July 8th, it appears 336 took the return working back to Edinburgh.

61: June 30th: 7B51 19.15 Newton Abbot - Exeter Riverside.
61: June 30th: 6B09 15.09 Acton - Plymouth milk empties, pilot to 7503 from Exeter to Plymouth.
61: July 1st: 1M54 12.05 Newquay - Nottingham.
60: July 4th: came to rescue of 1V93 at Taunton due to partial failure of??
60: July 11th: 1V82 10.34 Manchester - Plymouth.
60: July 12th: 1E70 14.35 Paignton - York.

60: October 9th: 1V72 07.35 Leeds - Penzance.
60: October 9th: 1M74 16.15 Plymouth - Liverpool.

61: December 30th: 1V72 07.35 Leeds - Penzance.


Photograph courtesy David Rogers.
D61 at Toton on February 23rd 1973. Interestingly it still retains its 'D' prefix, some four and a half years after the end of steam on British Railways. The headcode suggests its recently been on Midland mainline passenger duty.

During January 62 moved to Cricklewood, then it was on to Toton in November.


Photograph courtesy Ian Hammond.
45022 heads north through Dawlish Warren on June 14th 1975 with the 09.25 Paignton - Derby.

During October many Class 45's were transferred to Tinsley including 45022.

Photograph courtesy J Davenport.
45143 waits at Sheffield Midland on June 24th 1977.


The light is fading fast on the evening of July 15th 1978 as 45143 drifts down past platform six at Derby.

Good and bad befell 25243 on the Midland mainline on August 17th, initially coming to the rescue of a failed 45143 at Bedford on the 05.44 Derby - St Pancras. Unfortunately 25243 expired across the junction at Finchley Road, seriously disrupting traffic out of St Pancras, final arrival being just over two hours late and now behind 45131!

Photograph courtesy J Davenport.
45112 cruises into Chesterfield on August 28th 1979 with the 17.10 Sheffield - St Pancras.

No doubts as to where this is as 45143 works a NE/SW service through Derby at about 1pm on October 20th 1979.


Photograph courtesy Paul Appleby.
A misty Sheffield Midland is briefly host to 45022 on March 21st 1984. At this time the nameplate was only carried on one side.

During December 45022 was received at Derby Works for an Intermediate repair.

Whilst in Derby Works 45022 was reallocated to Toton during January, but was not released from the Works until the third week of February.

Photograph courtesy John Glynn.
45022 nears the end of its final Intermediate repair at Derby Works, seen here on January 31st 1985.

To celebrate the 300th anniversary (1685 - 1985) of the Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards 45143 was summoned to Waterloo on June 11th for a re-dedication of its nameplate prior to working the 13.10 Waterloo - Exeter in celebration.

Reading, December 28th 1985.
Photograph courtesy Paul Appleby.


Photograph collection of webmaster.
Its June 16th 1986 and 45022 has about a year left in service as it heads west over Newton Viaduct, New Mills on a hazy day. Most likely this is a loaded cement working from from Earles Sidings at Hope, although the last two wagons appear to be fuel tanks and the first two are possibly from Briggs, Buxton.

45143 was noted at Derby Works during July for the repair of bogie fractures.

All three featured machines moved to Tinsley during the year, 45022 in September whilst 45112 & 45143 followed in November.


Photograph courtesy J Davenport.
Its March 23rd 1987 and 45022 has lost its nameplates, but the staff at Tinsley have painted on the name and a Tinsley crest. It is seen here at Manchester Victoria in its last year of revenue earning service.

45112 & 45143 were withdrawn during May. 45112 was withdrawn on May 7th with a bad turbocharger, its lasat reported working was the 1M80 Scarborough - Holyhead. It would be one of the Peaks to reach preservation. 45143 was also withdrawn on the same day as 45112. 45143 was stopped with leaking cylinder liners, its last working being the 1M26 Scarborough - Liverpool on May 2nd.

45022 was withdrawn during July in working order but would live to fight another day, being one of several Peaks reinstated during September to assist with the engineering work involved with electrification of the northern end of the ECML. 45022 was renumbered 97409 for this purpose.

The new guise for 45022, now 97409 for its ECML engineering duties. Seen at Tinsley, presumably in 1987. One wonders how the Peaks might have looked if they'd survived a little longer into the era of many paint schemes?
Photograph courtesy John Griffiths.

45022 ended its days at MC Metals, Glasgow, reaching there during October, accompanied by 45029. 45022 was broken up during October.

45143 also ended its days at MC Metals, Glasgow, broken up during March.

Page added January 2nd 2006.
Page last updated May 2nd 2016.

Return to Picture menu