5062, D5062, 24062
D5062, 5062, 24062|
Photograph courtesy GW Sharpe.
An interesting view side by side of Crewe built D5062 and BRCW built D5305 on September 23rd 1966. D5062 displays another variation on the yellow warning panel, here the panel reaches upto the handrails and does not cover the lower stripe. The view is at St Margarets shed, Edinburgh (64A), and is dated probably in the latter half of 1966. Neither locomotive has yet been adorned with any electrification flashes.
The fifteen year eight month career of 5062/24062 saw allocations to Eastern Region, London Midland Region & Scottish Region depots.
Built Crewe Locomotive Works.
Shortened fuel tank & full size water tank (retained until withdrawn).
Four upper and four lower air filters on non-BIS side, three upper and four lower on BIS side.
Gangway doors never removed.
Time between last Classified repair and withdrawal: ?? months.
Time between withdrawal & scrapping: 12 months.
The frames for D5062 were laid down at Crewe Works during November 1959, D5062 was new to March (31B) on January 18th 1960. Further transfers were:
December 1960 to Stratford (30A).
March 1961 to Finsbury Park (34G).
August 1966 to Haymarket (64B) on loan, made permanent September 1966.
January 1968 to Longsight (9A) on loan.
June 1968 to Manchester Division (D09).
September 1968 to Stoke Division (D05).
May 1973 to Crewe.
October 4th 1975 - withdrawn.
Renumbered February 9th 1974.
After withdrawal 24062 was stored at Crewe from October 1975 until August 4th 1976 when it was towed to Swindown Works and scrapped there by the last week of October 1976.
Movement: August 4th 1976, when 24049/58/62/92 were hauled by 25188 over the Crewe - Banbury - Swindon route.
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Stratford Works March 1962.
Noted Derby Works April 1966.
Noted Derby Works April 1968.
Noted Derby Works April 1974.
The frames for D5062 were laid down at Crewe in the autumn of 1959, with D5062 ready for traffic in January, being allocated to March (31B) as part of the East Anglian dieselisation program. During December D5062 moved south to Stratford (30A).
During March D5062 was transferred to Finsbury Park (34G), where it worked numerous duties over the Great Northern lines, no doubt to cover the loss of the North British & BRCW Type 2's recently moved Scotland.
D5062 visited Stratford Works during March, possibly to have stop-cock equipment fitted for working over the Metropolitan Widened lines.
On April 15th the down 'Heart of Midlothian' with D9001 in charge became a complete failure near Welwyn Garden City, rescue came in the shape of D5062 taking the train northwards to ?
After five years working in the London area D5062 headed north to Haymarket (64B) during August, being used on the empty coaching stock duties around Edinburgh and on locals to Carlisle, Hawick & Carstairs. This move allowed the Claytons to transfer across the Firth of Forth to assist in replacing steam in the Thornton/Dunfermline/Dundee area.
After some eighteen months working the Scottish lines D5062 returned south during January as part of the final campaign to finish steam working in the north west.
During the latter part of the year 5062 moved to the Stoke Division (D05) joining a large fleet of Class 24s recently arrived from the southern end of the LMR.
On April 8th a Crewe - Pwllheli enthusiast special started out behind 5056 & 5062. At Welshpool 5080 replaced an ailing 5056, which quickly headed back towards Shrewsbury, complete with the Welshpool - Newton "staff" still onboard! The locomotive was finally stopped at Westbury and promptly reversed course back to Welshpool, where the special finally got away over an hour late.
5062 was allocated to Crewe when the LMR Divisional allocations were discontinued during May.
At about 11am on August 3rd 5062 was noted at Llandudno with an up freight.
Along with a great many others 24062 fell victim to the mass withdrawals of the Class 24 fleet during the summer/autumn of 1975, 24062 was withdrawn on October 4th 1975.
Condition Final: blue/yellow livery, gangway doors still in place, full size water tank, shortened fuel tank, blanking plates in place, hand/footholds plated over.
A builders plate (Crewe 1959) for 24062 sold on Ebay for £412 during November 2017.
Vic Smith - location details.
Page added April 17th 2000.
Last updated January 29th 2020.
Return to Picture menu