D5016, 5016, 24016
D5016, 5016, 24016|
Photographer unknown at this time
D5016 in pretty much 'as delivered' condition including the water stains on the side panels by the radiator, something common to the Sulzer Type 2s. Being one of the first batch this locomotive has the five ventilators on the top row. The cantrail located water filler cover is still in place. The location is at Stafford, with the locomotive heading towards Crewe, the station was prior to its rebuilding with the coming of electrification of the route.
The sixteen year two month career of D5016/24016 included allocations to the London Midland Region, Southern Region and Scottish Region.
Built Derby Locomotive Works.
Delivered with Athermos axleboxes (D5010 - D5019).
Full size fuel & water tanks (retained until withdrawn).
Five upper and four lower air filters on non-BIS side, four upper and four lower on BIS side.
Time between last Classified repair and withdrawal: ?? months.
Time between withdrawal & scrapping: 17 months.
The frames for D5016 were laid down during the spring of 1959 at Derby Works. D5016 was new to Crewe South (5B) on May 30th 1959. Further transfers were:
June 1959 to Derby (17A) on loan.
June 1959 to Crewe South (5B).
September 1959 to Willesden (1A).
October 1959 to Camden (1B).
April 1960 to Hither Green (73C) on loan.
May 13th 1960 to Camden (1B).
December 1965 to Bletchley (1E).
April 1966 to London Division (D01).
July 1966 to Birmingham Division (D02).
May 1967 to to Stoke Division (D05).
March 1969 to store.
June 1969 - reinstated to Stoke Division (D05).
October 1971 to Polmadie (66A).
March 1972 to Eastfield (65A).
July 7th 1975 stored unserviceable.
August 16th 1975 - withdrawn.
Renumbered April 1974.
After withdrawal 24016 was stored at Cadder Yard until October 1975, moving to Glasgow works until May 2nd 1976 when it moved to Doncaster Works, where it was broken up by January 1977.
Movement: 24015/16/71, 24117 Glasgow Works – Doncaster May 3rd 1976, (behind 26046 at Berwick).
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Derby Works February 1960.
Noted Derby Works February 1961.
Noted Derby Works January 1962.
Noted Derby Works October 1964.
Noted Derby Works March 1965.
Noted Eastleigh Works October 1965.
Noted Derby Works September 1971.
Noted Glasgow Works October 1971.
Noted Glasgow Works June, August & September 1974.
Delivered new from Derby during June to Crewe South (5B), D5016 had a very active 1959 being allocated to Crewe South, Derby, Crewe South, Willesden & Camden. The summer timetable saw D5016 initially working between Crewe and Birmingham, including the 7.35pm Holyhead - Birmingham at Crewe, returning with the following morning's 6.30am all stations Birmingham - Crewe. So noted were D5015/16 and D5015/30. The first pair mentioned were involved in working June 9th - 13th's 08.00am Birmingham - Newcastle between Derby and York, returning on the 12.43pm Newcastle - Bristol as far as Derby. On July 29th D5016 worked the 8.25pm Crewe - Birmingham New Street.
Condition as new: green livery, frame level stripe, full size fuel & water tanks, Athermos axleboxes, two-rung bogie mounted footsteps, ridged sandboxes, 5/4 ventilator arrangement on side without Battery Isolating Switch (BIS).
November 2nd found D5015/16/18/19 taking over some of the local workings out of Euston.
Once in a while fame & fortune happened upon the Type 2s, on October 9th it was the turn of D5016 when the down 'Royal Scot' experienced serious difficulties with D222. After a slow departure from Euston and attention at Willesden all was still not well, the Type 4 eventually coming off at Watford being replaced by D5016. The small machine put up a spirited performance, however the glory was brief, Class 5 44712 took over at Bletchley, with 44938 added at Rugby!
Photographer unknown at this time
A duty which many of the early members frequently saw was the working of the local services out of Euston. Here D5016 with a layer of dust on her paintwork and a small yellow warning panel pauses at Watford Junction, the steam generator is in use judging by the steam leaking from the coaches. With the suburban services out of Euston planned for electric services eventually, the invasion of diesel multiple units did not occur here, leaving the local commuters (for better or worse) in the hands of the LMS Twins, the Bullied Trio and endless Class 24/40s.
Condition no month: green livery with small yellow warning panels, curved upper corners, warning panel partially covers frame level stripe, gangway doors present, full size fuel & water tanks, ridge sided sandboxes, two rung bogie mounted footsteps, all valencing in place, appears to be eqipped with Athermos axleboxes, retains cantrail water filler cover.
Condition circa 1963: green livery with small yellow warning panels, curved upper corners, frame level stripe only partially covered by warning panel.
On June 12th the 13.37 Euston - Bletchley was worked by D5016 & D327, it is not recorded if both locomotives were working.
Photograph courtesy Cumbrian Railway Association, (Ref WAR448)
D5016 stands at the head of a return excursion at Lakeside, circa 1965. Hidden behind the locomotive and train are two other trains, one in the hands of D5702 and the other with Black Five 45196. The Windermere Lakeside - Ulverston passenger service ended in September 1938 although the branch continued to see summer extras until September 1965.
The 'Eight Counties' RCTS railtour of March 26th enjoyed the use of D5016, running from Northampton Castle to Market Harborough & Leicester, changing here to 8F 48467 for a run through the East Midlands/Sheffield environs. EM1 26000 took the train across the Pennines, Jubilee 45596 ran from Godley Jcn to Crewe via Northwich, with E 3093 completing the last leg back to Northampton. After six years of activity at the southern end of the WCML D5016, along with D5017 were transferred to the Birmingham Division (D02) along with a dozen other Type 2s during July.
Photograph collection of A Stubbs
A relatively clean D5016 negotiates the trackwork at the entrance to Camden shed, date unknown.
After just under a year in the Birmingham area D5016 joined in the mass movement of the LMR machines to the Stoke Division (D05), being transferred there during May.
5016 was put to store between March & June due to a surplus of power. A shortage of locomotives on the Eastern Region and the loss of four Type 2s in a runaway accident at Chester gave this early batch another lease on life, with 5016 being re-instated back to the Stoke Division.
In October the Scottish Region Polmadie depot (66A) became home for 5016 and many of her sisters, being used to retire the few remaining NBL & Clayton locomotives from the fleet. Glasgow Works was visited by 5016 in October.
During the first quarter Polmadie depot closed so 5016 and many others migrated across Glasgow to Eastfield during March.
24016 was withdrawn on August 16th 1975.
Photograph courtesy Tony Sayer
The summer of 1975 brought massive withdrawals for the Class 24 fleet, being more severe on the LMR than the ScR. Following three months of inactivity 24016 was taken to Glasgow Works for spares removal, where the locomotive was photographed on October 21st 1975. With the locomotive at the end of its working life it has managed to retain several original features including the cabfront gangway doors and the original size fuel & boiler water tanks.
Condition Final: blue/yellow livery, gangway doors present, full size fuel & water tanks, blanking plates fitted, hand/footholds plated over, ridge sided sandboxes, three-rung bogie mounted footsteps, side ventilators 4/4 BIS side, 5/4 non BIS side.
Vic Smith - location details.
Page added February 25th 2000.
Last updated September 22nd 2018.
Return to Picture menu
Return to Home page