A factory portrait of D5010 prior to entering traffic. Points of interest are the full size fuel & water tanks, the Athermos axleboxes, the two-rung bogie mounted footsteps, the ridged sandboxes and the circular engine exhaust in its original position above the boiler room.
The sixteen year three month career of D5010/24010 commenced with just over three years on loan to Hither Green before transferring to the London Midland Region and finally the Scottish Region.
Built Derby Locomotive Works.
The frames for D5010 were laid down at Derby Works during December 1958, with D5010 was delivered new to Crewe South (5B) on March 21st 1959, but then immediately loaned to Derby (17A). Further transfers were:
April 6th 1959 to Hither Green (73C) on loan.
Renumbered April 1974.
24010 was stored at Carlisle from July 1975 until March 15th 1976 when it moved to Glasgow Works, then moved to Doncaster Works on July 15th 1976, where it was broken up during February 1977.
Movement (1): 24002/04/10/11 Carlisle Glasgow Works March 15th 1976
Movement (2): 24010/17/97 Glasgow Works Doncaster Works July 15th 1976 (behind 20017 at Darlington).
Works visits (records incomplete).
Noted Eastleigh Works January 1961.
Built with 4/4 grilles on non BIS side, 3/4 on BIS side. Full size fuel & water tanks. Athermos axleboxes. Two-rung bogie mounted footsteps.
The SR Type 2s now numbered fifteen but had been subdivided into two distinct groups, those with their boilers removed (D5002 - 5006), and those still as built (D5000/01/07-14). On the Eastern section all were banned between Tonbridge and Bo Peep Junction, Middle Junction to Sheerness on Sea and from the Tilmanstone & Tenderten branches. The heavier machines were also banned from the Allhallows, Grain, Hawkhurst and Westerham branches. Oddly all were allowed down the steeply graded Folkestone Harbour branch. On the Central section the only restrictions applied to the heavier machines, banned between Three Bridges and East Grinstead and onto Ashurst Junction and the Heathfield line. The Cranleigh, Kemp Town, Lavant & Steyning branches were also off limits. On the Western Section all were banned from the Bodmin North, Barnstaple & Ilfracombe, Callington, Halwill, Hayling Island, Lyme Regis and Torrington branches. Double heading of these machines, with themselves or other engines was not permitted except on short trips. Freight workings using the Type 2s included the 3.05pm Hoo Junction - Hither Green freight, noted in April were D5005 (6th), D5009 (7th), D5010 (8th), D5000 (9th) and D5005 (10th).
During the summer the Civil Engineer permitted the use of double heading of the Type 2s, with D5007/10 noted on June 20th hauling the 3.42 pm relief Victoria - Folkestone Harbour, whilst the next day they handled the 5.25am Dover - Victoria and 9.24am return relief.
D5010 & D5017 were noted at Kensington Olympia with the 12.27 Margate - Leicester on August 8th.
November 14th found D5010 working a football special from Ashford to Brentford.
D5010 worked the 07.50 Rugby - Liverpool on October 24th.
Condition unknown date (but believed whilst on WCML): green livery with small yellow warning panels, rounded upper corners, painted over frame level stripe, three rung bogie steps, SKF axleboxes, headcode disc brackets fitted (for use with SR six disc headcodes), full size fuel and water tanks, blanking plates fitted.
On December 31st D5010 worked the 18.05 Broad Street - Tring.
Condition July: green livery with small yellow warning panels, squared upper corners, warning panel covers frame level stripe, full size fuel tank, shortened water tank, no blanking plates, hand/footholds present, SKF axleboxes, headcode disc brackets fitted (for use with SR six disc headcodes).
When withdrawn the locomotive was fitted with SKF axleboxes, not its original Isothermos axleboxes.
Page added May 11th 2016.